Defense digs deep at Doncaster

19 Apr

The Eagles picked up their first win of the season with a hard-fought 13-12 victory over Doncaster Mustangs at the Keepmoat Stadium on Sunday.

Following the coin toss the Eagles received the opening kick-off but went three and out on their first possession. Doncaster’s first drive stalled around midfield, and after the Eagles were again forced to punt they regained possession thanks to an interception by Chris Parr.

The momentum would soon swing back in favour of the hosts after the Eagles threw a pick of their own, and the Mustangs took the lead after a pass from seven yards out.

The Eagles offense looked to have clicked as they drove deep into Doncaster territory, but following another interception in the red zone the scoring opportunity was lost.

Both teams exchanged possession for most of the second quarter but when Nate Ashby picked off the Mustangs QB the Eagles O was finally able to punch the ball in after driving thirty yards, Curtis Williston finishing the drive with a one-yard run.

Half-Time: Mustangs 6 Eagles 7

The second half got off to a blistering start after the Eagles successfully recovered an onside kick but quickly settled back into the same pattern as both offenses struggled to move the ball.

Proceedings were given a jump start when Parr returned a Mustangs punt 85 yards to the house only to see it called back for a flag, and three plays later the hosts were in the end zone.

They were unable to convert the two-point conversion though, and those missed points would ultimately turn out to be the difference between the two sides.

As the fourth quarter got underway the Eagles had the ball on their own 20. They were unable to turn the possession into a meaningful drive and Doncaster started again on their own 42 following a punt, but when Parr stepped in front of his receiver for his second interception of the day and returned it to the end zone, the Eagles had the lead.

The two-point conversion was no good, and on the Mustangs’ next possession Parr again caught an interception – his third of the day.

With around five minutes to play the Mustangs had the ball and started driving into Eagles territory.

A holding penalty on first and goal from the six with a little under 90 seconds to play pushed them back to the 16-yard line, and with 54 seconds left Nate Ashby picked off the QB in the end zone for his second – and the defense’s fifth – interception of the day to seal the win.

Final: Mustangs 12 Eagles 13
Photo courtesy of GrahamBeardsleyPhotography
Photo courtesy of GrahamBeardsleyPhotography

The Eagles are back in BAFANL action this Sunday with our first home game of the season, against Nottingham Caesars.

Kick off is midday at BIAS, with admission priced at £2 each for adults (for which you receive a free programme) or free for those under-18.

Admission is also free for anyone who as downloaded our mobile app for iOS and Android.

  • App Store
  • Google Play Store